Thursday, February 5, 2009

FW: Thursday in Honduras

<<1-29-09 022.jpg>> Bu <<1-29-09 029.jpg>> en <<1-29-09 067.jpg>> os
Dias, Amigos!
Today was another fun day at school. I re-inacted "Little Red Riding
Hood" with the first graders. They already knew the story, so it was
easy for me. The children made puppets when I got through and were able
to re-tell the story. Thank you, Ms. Touchstone for giving me all the
materials for this activity!
Second graders worked on writing a letter to you. Some of the children
will be writing back in Spanish. They were so cute. Some wanted to
find American children who like art. Some wanted a letter that said
soccer, and others wanted to find American children who like animals.
You know you are all alike...you just live in different parts of the
world.
I gave the second graders an addition mad-minute. Most of them finished
ahead of time! Guess what I taught them to do on the back? You guessed
it...Ms. Marshall's famous doodle! They even colored it.

Later this afternoon I went with my friends from Jackson to the
dedication of a water purification system in a nearby village. Now the
people there can have clean water to drink and will have better health.
We also dedicated a house that John Spencer's dad helped to build. The
family was living in house made of sticks. (just like one of the 3
little pigs!).

Guess what I saw today? Two huge (and I mean HUGE) hornet's nests! I
also saw a tiny (and I mean TINY) hummingbird's nest. I took picturs of
both to show you when I get back.

Now - I have a challenge for us all. Roberto and Bertha (the owners of
the resort and the bilingual school) invited me to their home for dinner
last night so that I could give them suggestions for making the school
better. The school does not have a library, and the chilren really need
to take books written in English home to enjoy. I think that we can all
collect our used books and create a library for them. What do you
think? I know I have lots of books in boxes that belonged to my
children. There are only 130 children in the school. I KNOW we can
gather enough books for a library for them!

I miss you! I received the email from Dr. Harth with all of your
questions. I'll answer your questions tomorrow. OK - maybe a few now:
The donkey's name is Clementine. Clementine is so friendly, and once
walked in someone's cottage!
The food is FABULOUS! I'll show you pictures later.
The lake was once the crater of a volcano. (That's why the soil is so
rich.) Some children have neat handwriting...others have messy...just
like American children!

Take care...I hope that you all do great on your Wordly Wise test.
Happy 100th Day of school!

Xoxoxo Ms. M

No comments: